Janice Armour receives CTO’s Award of Excellence for her contribution to the development of Caribbean Tourism
All members of our team are employed from the surrounding communities. They are committed to supporting community projects through hands on volunteer work and financial donations. These donations are made through our participation in long standing as well as emergency relief programs which benefit the aged, youth, homeless and ill.
Through local companies, organizations and communities such as Calls, the indigenous Carib L’Arouma weavers, Screwpine workers in Toucari and Dos Dane, Abilities Unlimited (formerly the Workshop for the Blind), Dominica Home Industries and other individuals throughout the island, we are able to source much of our furnishings and fittings.
We are members and supporters of the local NGO’s focused on the preservation of our Natural, Cultural & Built Heritage; The Society for Heritage Architectural Preservation & Enhancement (SHAPE), Dominica Hotel & Tourism Association (DHTA), Dominica Conservation Association (DCA), Dominica Watersports Association (DWA), Cabrits Natural Area Management Program, Portsmouth Indian River Tour Guides Association (PIRTGA).
We carry out Wildlife protection programs and energy management which our guests can participate in to benefit the wellbeing of the area’s wildlife; these programs include Turtle watch and protection, Save the Iguana, Bird spotting and Whale Watching. We continue our daily Beach and regular reef cleanup projects and we are hosts and supporters of our local Scout clubs.
As much as possible we use all natural products and environmentally sensitive processes and procedures in our cottages and operations, such as:
• Organic herb and vegetable greenhouse and fruit trees, organic kitchen boxes provided to the cottages for your private use, replanting fruit and vegetable seeds is encouraged
• Complimentary organic fruits and teas, local coffee and natural personal care products
• Sun-dried linen, and natural cleaning products and limit the use of chemical cleaners to an absolute minimum if at all
• The entire property including the cottages practices responsible garbage disposal including composting, recycling and reusing where possible
• Solar heating for water and solar source for many of our appliances; it is one of our aims to have our entire property generating its own sustainable renewable energy by the close of 2011
• We have incorporated solar garden lighting and shortened timers on our motion-sensored security lights within our landscaping to limit interference with the nocturnal garden life